On this page, we'll bring you the latest news and information you need to know about Oilheat in upper New York. If you have any questions about Oilheat delivery, products and services, please contact a local Oilheat dealer
Upgrade & Save – Upstate New York Rebate Program
Studies show that heating system upgrades can reduce your annual energy expenses by 30-40 percent and pay for themselves in just a few short years through these savings. Now, you can make that payback come even quicker and start saving immediately with the Upgrade & Save – Upstate New York Energy Efficiency and Safety Rebate Program. Through this program, you’ll receive:
- $750 for the replacement/efficiency upgrade of an existing oil-fired furnace or boiler to a higher-efficiency model
- $500 for the installation of an aboveground oil storage tank to replace an existing tank determined to be unsafe
- Up to $1250 in combined rebates
- *Limit of 2 Rebates Per Household
The Upgrade & Save – Upstate New York Efficiency and Safety Rebate Program Begins May 2nd, 2016
These rebates are available on a first-come, first-served basis and for a limited time only, so don’t put your heating equipment upgrade off until next year. To learn more, call your local Oilheat dealer and ask about the Upgrade & Save – Upstate New York Energy Efficiency and Safety Rebate Program today!
Oilheat - The Fuel of the Future
We can proudly and confidently say that today's Oilheat is "not your father's Oilheat." This "fuel of the future" is cleaner and greener than ever because of these advances:
Ultra-low sulfur heating oil
In July 2012, home heating oil in New York State became a lot greener.
The reason? The ultra-clean, ultra-efficient, and ultra-environmentally friendly fuel known as ultra-low sulfur heating oil - ULSHO for short.
In 2010, New York State approved a switch to ultra-low sulfur heating oil, which reduces sulfur content in the fuel by 99%. The law went into effect on July 1, 2012.
Modern Oilheat has always been a clean fuel - so clean it boasts near-zero emissions. ULSHO is the cleanest Oilheat you can buy. While sulfur levels found in the "old Oilheat" averaged 2,000 parts per million, ULSHO has a sulfur content of 15 parts per million.
ULSHO: Good for heating systems! Heating equipment that runs on ULSHO requires less maintenance. Using ULSHO could also help your heating system operate more efficiently. And, according to the Consumer Energy Council of America, ULSHO reduces emissions by over 70% compared to traditional heating fuel.
ULSHO: Good for the environment! When combined with the reduced global warming potential produced by biofuel blends known as Bioheat® heating oil (see below), ultra-low sulfur heating oil can be shown to be the environmental fuel of choice for home heating. It's easy being green with ULSHO!
ULSHO: Good for you!
With innovations like ULSHO, you can rest assured that Oilheat is the fuel of the future - good for heating systems, the environment ... and you!
Bioheat® Heating Oil
New York State Oilheat dealers deeply care about protecting the environment for future generations - and that is why many deliver clean and green Bioheat® Heating Oil. There are so many benefits to using this eco-friendly fuel:
- Bioheat® heating oil is domestically produced using biodiesel made from American grown resources like soybeans, which helps support our nation's farmers and reduces our dependence on foreign energy sources.
- Bioheat® heating oil has the highest BTU content of any alternative fuel, for more efficient burning and satisfying warmth.
- Biodegradable, renewable and non-toxic, Bioheat® heating oil burns cleaner than "regular" Oilheat (which is already amazingly clean!). It contains almost no sulfur, and significantly reduces particulates and greenhouse gases that lead to global warming.
- Bioheat® heating oil lubricates heating system parts more thoroughly and efficiently, helping to reduce the number of service calls needed annually.
- Bioheat® heating oil costs about the same as "regular" Oilheat - and you get a tax credit (see below).
- Bioheat® heating oil requires no burner, boiler/furnace or tank modification. And you won't have to change your budget plan, payment plan, service contract or warranties. Bioheat® heating oil is delivered to you in the same manner as "regular" Oilheat.
The Oilheat America website (OilheatAmerica.com
) is a excellent resource for consumers who are looking to learn more about home heating oil. Here, existing homeowners, potential homebuyers, real estate professionals, home inspectors and builders can find valuable information about the benefits and uses of heating oil
and dig deeper by accessing a knowledge base
developed especially for the curious consumer. This website was developed with the support of the National Oilheat Research Alliance (NORA) as part of that organization's mission to educate consumers about today's Oilheat. Both organizations' home pages can be accessed via the links below.
When You Use Bioheat® heating oil, You Get a Tax Break!
New York State offers a tax credit for customers who use biofuels - one cent per percentage of biofuel blended with heating oil, up to 20 cents. For instance, if a company delivers Bioheat® heating oil contains 5% biofuel and 95% heating oil (known as a B5 blend), the customer receives a 5-cent-per-gallon tax credit - saving $50 for every 1,000 gallons of Bioheat® heating oil consumed.
The new tax credit remains in effect through 2016. To receive a tax credit, you should file a Claim for Clean Heating Fuel Credit along with your tax return. Please consult with your tax professional for the proper forms.